Friday, June 12, 2009

Not just in Europe

Rumi
Persia, what is now Afghanistan
1207 – 1273
link to image



A few days ago the NYT had an article about how college courses on European based knowledge were becoming rare. It is an ongoing argument these days, even where I work (World Cultures and Literature).

Should all students be taught about the famous European thinkers? How do you include other forms of knowledge from different parts of the world? The guys in Europe were not the only ones to figure it out.

For those in NY, you have a chance to learn about knowledge from another place. At the Brooklyn Museum - "Light of the Sufis: the Mystical Arts of Islam," through September 9, 2009

see "The Many Voices of Enlightenment," New York Times, June 12, 2009






Rumi
I cannot stop asking.
If I could taste one sip of an answer,
I could break out of this prison for drunks.
I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.
Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

* Ch. 1 : The Tavern, p. 2

No comments: