Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Capo and the Movie Star - Kate del Castillo

A few days ago I saw a curious article in the Houston Chronicle, about Kate del Castillo saying that a powerful Mexican drug lord was more influential than Mexico's President.  The LA Times soon picked up the story and now it has been circulating all over.

While everyone is focusing on what she said to Chapo Guzman, the powerful drug lord (and also one of the richest men in the world) - she is really seeking to do something for her country.  Mexico is in a terrible position right now.  An announcement a few days ago stated that over 48,000 people had been killed in the narco-war.  Many more thousands can't go home and visit - not because they don't have U.S. visas and can't come back - but because they could be killed, kidnapped, or have their vehicles and money stolen once they cross the border.

For a number of years I went to Monterrey on a regular basis (I was doing research for my first book, Delirio).  I was there for summers and holidays in 1997-1998.  In 1999 I rented an apartment with my daughter who attended a bilingual school there.  For the next several years I went every few months.  I established very close relationships with a number of families in Monterrey and nearby Santiago and San Isidro del Potrero.  My last trip was in 2009 when the family patriarch in Monterrey passed away.  I can't go any more.  Its too dangerous, even if I fly versus drive. The family in Monterrey that I am close to has already lost two family members - they simply disappeared.  A few months ago 2 more young men from the family were kidnapped but were returned after relatives paid thousands of dollars in ransom.

A student of mine told me of someone who was driving in his  SUV with his family from Laredo to Monterrey recently.  They were stopped on the autopista (toll road) and had to pay a narco $200.  The narco was friendly and talkative.  He asked the man what people were saying on American side - the response was "nobody is going to Mexico anymore" -

Calderon may not be saying so, but this war has to be destroying the Mexican economy.  It has decimated the tourist industry, and I can't imagine what is going on with the American corporations who do business over there.  Monterrey used to the the wealthiest city in Latin America.  Its not likely that the city still holds that title.

Kudos for Del Castillo.  At least she has the courage to say something.  I don't think Chapo Guzman is a good guy (I can't image she does either) - but he certainly has the power to do something, if he chooses too.

MTH
--------------------------

Here is the translated text of the twitter:


"Today I say what I think and as to which suits him well. Today I have more fun 2012. I listen to more music that I like ChavelaVargas @ @ @ BuikaMusic Calle13Oficial manuchao @ leo @ lydiacachosi Galeano # # # Neruda Sabin • # carlosfuentes and I stop listening to politicians. The fact is that I’m tired of doing what I do not. Many times I was happy but I did not realize. I love. I love you. ”


“I do not believe in handling, have numbed me. The government. Religion. Politics. Media. Society. Dirt. Those who judge me and say but I require and I applaud.”


“I do not believe in marriage, I believe in love. Do not believe in the idea that I should be with someone for the rest of my life, it only creates guilt and unhappiness me when I failed, in fact, do not believe in failure, I believe in getting ahead, making decisions good or bad, think about changing your mind as often as necessary. ”


“I long for the first time around. So I think that no matter how much love I need to feel that my partner feels the first times in the stomach and the body goes through you, no matter how much or how beautiful love is, I need that feeling to which I am addicted. We all yearn for but we dare not speak. It is not that relationships should last until “it” is over? ”


“I do not believe in monogamy, I believe in loyalty, my feelings, as I feel and let you feel my body.”


“I do not believe in punishment or sin, do not believe I grew up believing that everything was a sin, even my body, in fact do not believe in the Bible as manipulated in some passages (which Peña Nieto read insurance) for remorse, guilt, and above all, fear. Moreover, I do not think anything that has been done by the man who makes me feel wicked, that makes me feel less guilty or ashamed of my sexuality .. ”


“I do not believe in the Church and in any case, I do not believe in religion, but I do believe in God because I see in my eyes in the mirror every day.”


“I do not believe I have learned diseases and their cures have been denied me, hidden.”


“I do not think any institution or law that are dedicated to panic and take my money.”


“I do not believe in the Pope, or the Vatican with all their wealth as the priests do not believe in because I think human beings should enjoy the carnal love, sex and preferably without hiding or hurting anyone.”


“I was born naked without laws or religion, these were created by man, as the Bible and I have a sneaking suspicion that it was invented just to follow handling and profit for a few.”


“I believe in what I feel and that is why I believe in fear, keeps me alert, all that experience with my 5 senses is what matters, what is real.”


“I do not believe in society and that has made me feel ashamed of who I am, incomplete, but it is a fact that I treat all my desire to understand and live in peace within it. I believe in myself and my only true because I am who I have to deal with every second, apart from me, I do not think … “.


“I do not believe in judging because I alone am responsible for my act, and life would fail me.”
“I do not believe in morality and that varies greatly between people, I believe in what makes me feel good or bad about myself so I can go to sleep peacefully but not what society wants me to feel.”
“I believe in good.”


“I think, despite everything you just wrote, in the human race cause I love, hate, I’m sorry, I’m wrong, hurt, helped, I feel,” failure “, cry, suffer, envy, I have deep pain, I have sex, I have dreams, fantasies, desires, ask for help, I get, I, I fight, I go on, I forget, I get mad, I laugh, I hope, I’m patient, I am impatient, stand … I’m alive and I thank God that all days, for who I am, good or bad. ”


Become a hero of heroes
“Today I believe more in the Chapo Guzmán government that I hide painful truths even if they are, who hide the cure for cancer, AIDS Etc. For their own benefit and wealth.”


“SR. CHAP WOULD NOT START TO FATHER traffic in WELL? WITH THE CURES FOR DISEASE WITH FOOD FOR STREET CHILDREN WITH ALCOHOL FOR ANSIANOS Shelters NOT LEAVE THE PAST FEW YEARS PASS YOUR DOING WHAT THEY HIT THE REVEREND CHING, traffic with corrupt politicians and NOT WITH WOMEN AND CHILDREN AS SLAVES TO END? to ​​burn all the “puter” where women are not worth a pack of cigarettes, BUT OFFER NO ACTION, go ahead DON , YOU WOULD BE THE HERO OF HEROES, traffics in LOVE, you know how. ”


“Life is a business, the only thing that changes is the good” is not?
-Not to blame
-No remorse
-Not to shame
-No-no to impunity for racial differences
-Not politics
-Not religion
-Not noted
-No silence
-No to corruption
-No illicit enrichment
-Not stifle our dreams
-No more blood
Life-if
I love you, kate






No comments: