Thursday, September 20, 2007

Waiting for the DREAM ACT

There are lots of things I need to do today; grade papers, read the material for my next class, work on my manuscript. Instead I'm sitting here at the computer just waiting. I listen to C-Span on line, knowing that the DREAM Act probably won't come up today. Occasionally I look for publications related to the DREAM ACT.

I started thinking about all the things that are going on before we see Durbin or Sessions make their speeches. What are they talking about that we can't hear. Are they really honest about what they say when they go up to the microphone? Does Durbin really have a heart for the DREAM ACT kids? Or is he thinking long term about the huge Latino voting population in Chicago? Does Sessions really have so much venom in him? Maybe he's just kidding and isn't such a bad guy after all. If he is being sincere he's scary.

What kind of political maneuvers are they trading to get the DREAM ACT passed? I've been told that passing legislation is like making sausage. So what awful stuff will be going into the DREAM ACT?

Then I wonder to myself, do the senators really know who the DREAM ACT kids are? Do they even consider the positive things everyone says about the students? For those like Senator Sessions, do they really think passing the DREAM ACT will ruin the United States?

I've watched the blog get flooded the last few days. The DREAM ACT is on everybody's mind. Its not just a law, or amendment, its the future of hundreds of thousands of kids.

No comments: