Monday, August 4, 2008

The danger of walking down the street without papers

It wan't necessary to look through the newspapers to find something to write about today. All I had to do was stand on my back porch.

About 3 pm I was in my back yard talking to a friend and her kids when a green car (looked like a Thunderbird or something similar) barreled down the road next to my house. Two other cars had flown by earlier today, which is a lot for such a short period of time. - speeding is usually limited to weekends, but maybe because people are more harried because of the hurricane (it is still technically a tropical storm).

It all happened in a second. As the green car passed my house it veered to the left. The driver honked at a pedestrian walking down the street. The car went over to the left shoulder and brushed the man's clothes. There was no one else coming. There was no reason for the green car to get close to the man. If the walker would not have jumped away, the car would have hit him.

My friend and I clearly saw the that driver wanted to harm the pedestrian - who returned later to explain to us that he was walking to a place where he could find a job. He did not speak English. He was an immigrant.

If you want to use the stereo types you know about, this man looked the part - worn clothes, very dark skin, no English, walking with a little bundle.

Why did the man in the green car want to hit the pedestrian? Was the driver someone who hates immigrants? I can't think of any other reason for the car to sway so far over to the side.

How often is this type of thing happening these days? When did it become ok to run people over?

No comments: