Thursday, August 28, 2008

Nightmares with ICE Raids


*By: JR
May 1st actions in Houston





I am not sure if it is affecting me as much as i think or if these ICE Raids are having unconscious effects on my mind.

I really don't talk about these ICE Raids to a lot of people, but i think about it a lot... maybe too much that i even have dreams about it- well, more like nightmares really.

Perhaps ever since I read Dr. Camayd-Freixas' article on the Raid in Postville, Iowa i became so much more aware of how real these attacks against our families have become. I have realized in the vulnerable position we are in.

Last Friday i had a nightmare where i was trying to protect and hide my family from being arrested and taken by ICE (interestingly, ICE officials later became part of the military). In this nightmare i could see families being taken by vans as if they were cattle- i could see their faces that projected sadness and fear. My brothers were taken and i was not able to see them again. At the end of the dream all my family had been taken away and i was the only one trying to seek refuge among families that would agree to hide me.

I woke up and i called my parents to see that they were okay-they were, but i didn't want to tell my mom about what i had dreamed... i didn't want to scare her. Monday came and the Mississippi raid came.

I can't begin to imagine what it would be like if my family was taken away, if my dad or brother were to be taken away. I honestly hope that these attacks against our families come to an end soon. It often happens where things get worse before they can get any better, i just wonder how much worse this situation will get.

1 comment:

Prerna said...

http://bravenewfilms.org/blog/29214-notes-from-underground-1-6-in-conversation-with-an-international-student