Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hurricanes and deaths in the family

Hurricane IKE really slowed down our blogging.  For a few days neither one of us had electricity.  Then I had a death in the family and had to go to San Antonio - returning for a day to then leave for Washington DC (for an academic conference).  I was one of the co-chairs of the conference, so there wasn't much time for me to blog.... seems like forever.

Life is like that.  Things happen.  And sometimes, there is so much muddle in your mind you can't think straight enough to write a decent post.  That is why lots of our recent posts have just been articles.

I am home now.  Things are kind of normal again, at least for us.  I understand that there are still over 1 million people without electricity in the Houston area.  We didn't lose any trees.  We have five crepe myrtles that are about 100 years old, their roots were so deep, maybe that helped them stay in the ground.  We were lucky.

When I left for DC the plane was nearly empty.  I had a whole row to myself.  It seemed strange.  I hadn't seen such an empty plane in years and years.  Returning was different... the plane was totally full.  There were lots of people with children.  I heard people on cell phones talking about not knowing if they had electricity at home.  There was a concerned look on the faces of many.

Friday night (19th) I received a phone call from an old friend -  we talked about the death of my family member... then my friend told me a story that came from a Houston fireman, that there are many many bloated bodies in Galveston.  That a family of 19 was found among the debris - all tied together, with their social security numbers written on their legs.  Today the Houston Chronicle said it wasn't true... yet some of the comments mention police officers talking about deaths on the west end of Galveston, emergency personnel reporting 40+ deaths in San Leon.  Most comments are ridiculing those who believe there could be more deaths but local governments are keeping it quiet.  Well, I would be doubtful too, but after the malicious story of "weapons of mass destruction" from our own president, vice-president, our venerable Secretary of State (Colin Powell) and many other national leaders, I realized that governmental leaders are capable of any kind of falsehood.


No comments: