Saturday, November 17, 2007

From Luis Sotelo at Northwestern University

USA TODAY
November 15, 2007 Thursday
Given the chance, illegal immigrants can succeed
by Luis Sotelo

I am an immigrant, and regardless of what some people might think, I have the potential to become somebody in American society. I'm a college student at Northwestern University, and I plan to become a lawyer.

I came to the USA illegally when I was 5 years old, but I became a U.S. citizen and, thankfully, I was able to pursue my higher education. Sometimes I think about what life would have been like had I not received my certificate of citizenship. I wouldn't be in college, that's for sure -- just like many high schools students who graduated across the USA this year.

The U.S. Senate refused to take up the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors, or the DREAM Act, shutting the doors of opportunity for many immigrant teens. This carefully constructed legislation could have made thousands of students' higher educational dreams a reality.

Many intelligent individuals cannot attend college because they are illegal immigrants. America might value education, but it is failing to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to receive it. Ironically, U.S. officials go to other countries across the world to promote and develop educational institutions -- to ensure that as many people in the world become educated citizens. Yet, the U.S. government can't provide postsecondary education for many students in its own country?
Immigrants have the potential to become great participants in American society, too.
Luis Sotelo, student
Northwestern University

No comments: