Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cautioned Criticism

As I'm reading Eugene Robinson's essay on former Vice President Dick Cheney's criticism of the Obama administration I am wondering how to approach my own comments... First I question, should I even post Robinson's criticism. Second, if I post the article, what can I say without sounding politically biased?

First I have to say that we (supposedly) have freedom of speech in this country and Cheney has every right to criticize the President and the Administration.

Of course the way things are these days, especially on college campuses, if someone says that they should be careful about criticizing Cheney, most people would say that is crazy. Why be careful about your comments on someone who doesn't care about human life?


On the other hand;

Who listens to Cheney anymore? Obviously someone does, a couple of days ago I heard an political advertisement on a popular radio station for Kay Bailey Hutcheson (who is running for Texas Governor) where the announcer said that Cheney was supporting her. The announcer made it sound like a great thing. I guess there are lots of people in Texas that still think all the things Cheney did were ethical and reasonable, because someone is spending lots of money making sure Texans know that Cheney and Hutcheson are friends.

Speaking of ethics, that's what this blog is about. Keeping silent would be unethical.

see:

Dick Cheney's lies about President Obama by Eugene Robinson, WaPO 12-31-09


No comments: