Thursday, December 31, 2009

Keeping Quiet About France

Recently I subscribed to the French newspaper LeMonde. It was partially because I just completed an article about the 2005 Paris riots and also because I am still trying to learn to read French and thought a daily newspaper link would move me a long a little faster.

This morning there was a brief note about cars being burned in Toulouse. When I looked in other newspapers I didn't see anything. The London Guardian didn't say anything. So tonight I googled Toulouse cars burned and found the following article. Apparently on New Years Eve 2009, over 1,100 cars have been burned throughout France, a 30% increase over New Years Eve 2008. Another bit of news; while the potential bomber on the Amsterdam/Detroit flight made big news, the sticks of dynamite placed in a Paris department store just before Christmas didn't stir up the news....

See:

Dynamite Found at Paris Store, WaPo, December 16, 2009

No comments: