Thursday, December 10, 2009

One DREAMer Saved -


..
Today's news shows that when people work together things happen! How many other DREAMers are out there waiting for the day of deportation? Can we do this for someone else?

Only thing I have to mention. ICRR's statement says that Rigo "acknowledged his mistake" - which is appropriate if it was for the traffic violation. But if this is meant for immigration without a visa, he was a small child when he came to the U.S. then he does not need to apologize...

Congratulations to the professors at Latin American and Latino Studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago. Let hope you started a trend.

As for my other academic colleagues. How many of you signed the petition?

--

UIC Honors Student Rigo Padilla’s Deportation Halted!

Chicago, Illinois – Today, the Department of Homeland Security notified Rigoberto Padilla’s attorney that his deportation has been deferred. Rigoberto Padilla, a junior [and Honor student] at the University of Illinois in Chicago has been fighting to stay in this country since he was placed in deportation proceedings last January, due to a misdemeanor driving violation...link to complete article

---
Email From: Rigo Padilla
Date: Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 5:28 PM
Subject: Great News


Today I received a letter from ICE saying that my deportation has been deferred until December 10th, 2010.


I am very pleased and grateful for this news. I thank the Obama administration for giving me another chance to show my full potential and contribute more to the country I call home. I also thank Congresswoman Schakowsky and the Congressmen that believed in me and all the people and youth that were with me during these tough times.

Together we were able to collect the signatures of over 1100 University Faculty, pass resolutions in both Chicago and Berwyn and send over 18,000 faxes to ICE!

View ICIRR's statement here.


I hope that my case can help other undocumented youth that are facing deportation, and that congress passes comprehensive immigration reform including the DREAM Act this year.

Representative Luis Gutierrez will be introducing an immigration reform bill in the house later this month, with a bill most likely being introduced into the Senate shortly after that.

Our movement is growing, we need to continue to organize and build our power. Everyone knows that our immigration system is broken. Now is the time to fix it.

Thank you again for all your support!

- Rigo Padilla

---

more on Rigo Padilla:

Rigo Padilla: Support grows to fight UIC student's deportation -- chicagotribune.com December 6, 2009

Posted using
ShareThis

No comments: