Thursday, February 28, 2008

Aqui Estoy, Here I am- Theatre projects touch on Immigration


I was so happy to have come across this today. This is from Albany Park Theatre Project based in Chicago; this play explores the complexities of immigration, its consequences and struggles. The play seems to be out already, but it would be great to see this; this is the clip featured on PBS.

I come from the trash dumps of Honduras, the football fields of Mexico, the genocide in Guatemala, a first-grade classroom in Bogotá. I come from riding the tops of freight trains across la bestia, arriving at O'Hare airport in my mother's arms, hiding beneath clothes in a pickup truck headed for Los Angeles. I come from farming, from shoemaking, from scavenging. From busing tables and going to school. From construction, demolition, painting, gardening. I come from waiting for work at La Parada and waiting for the law to change. I come from my long-distance love for the family I left behind, my devotion to the family that came with me, my dreams for the family I created here. I come from being a citizen, refugee, resident, alien-I come from being American. Aqui Estoy. I am here. In Chicago, in Albany Park, on the stage, in the audience.
Aqui Estoy.


This reminded me of Nine Digits, a play from California that uniquely and solely talked about undocumented Students. As i continued reading i found out that one of the cast members from of Albany Park Theater Project is a DREAMER and Nine Digits was inspired by him.

No comments: