Monday, October 27, 2008

A personal report on early voting

Those machines....

It sort of reminds me of using an ATM, but much more confusing.  When I saw all I the buttons I had to push, I became rather uncomfortable.  All I could remember was those stories of switched votes, I thought for a minute I would just vote straight ticket.  I decided against that because I don't like to blanket vote for people I never heard of.  But I found out later that my husband chose the easy route when he voted later in the day, I certainly don't blame him.

I voted in a Latino neighborhood that is heavily immigrant.  There were no lines, but then I went at 10 am.  The people were friendly and helpful.  There weren't any campaign workers outside to bother me.

It is very bothersome that there is no paper trail on my vote.  I can't imagine why it would be so difficult for the designer of the machines to have added that on.  After all, ATMs give receipts, those new digital parking meters, and cash registers...  I held on to my number, 6001, but then, what good will it do, the number doesn't say who I voted for, just in case my vote gets lost.

For those who have attention deficit, are dyslexic, and are not technologically minded, these little machines could be a nightmare.   

No comments: