Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Sex on the Plaza

Tomorrow I leave Madrid. Its been a few weeks of (mostly) boring work. A colleague of mine came into town last week... today she told me the strangest story.

In broad daylight today (a Wednesday) she was walking through a neighborhood plaza in downtown Madrid and saw 2 people having sex - right there, with scores of people around. She said that people all around were watching. Two men were taking pictures with their cell phones, some men were laughing...

The two people involved appeared to be homeless and native born Spaniards. The incident was disturbing and surprising. Yet, what surprises me even more is that the whole 16 days I have been here I have heard constant complaints about immigrants flooding the city, esp. Romanians and Africans. That these people bring problems, violence, crime, unsanitary conditions.

Yet, as I just mentioned, the most outrageous act was performed by two Spàniards.

No comments: