Sunday, April 6, 2008

April 5 - Letter from a DREAMER

Today we received this letter from a DREAMER who wishes to remain anonymous:

Dear Undocumented Student,

Tonight I returned from watching the film, “Bajo la Misma Luna,” and I could do nothing else, but think of wanting to share these few words with you.

Do not lose hope. Hope that you will one day experience equality. Hope that you will one day go back and forth freely across imaginary lines. Hope that you will one day be able to walk the streets of that place you call “home.” Hope that one day you will find closure. Hope that one day your wounds will heal.

Do not lose hope. You see, I’m not sure you understand that when you loose hope, a small piece of me dies too.

I walk in your shoes everyday and I know that what I ask for is not an easy thing to do, but for my sake, for your sake, and for the sake of every other who walks in our shoes, do not loose hope.

It is all to easy to be weighed down by all that surrounds us; the constant raids, the constant state of fear, or the constant state of limbo we’re in, but do not give in.

You see, by keeping hope alive, you keep me alive as well. By keeping hope alive, you allow hope to live within me. That hope that comes alive within me, will in turn give hope to another.

Although I cannot promise you a date, I can promise you that you one day you will be free. Free of fear. Free to come and go as you please. Free to walk the streets of that place you call “home.” Free to visit your loved ones. I promise one day you will find closure. I promise one day your wounds will heal. I promise.

I also promise to keep hope alive. For you, for me, and for all those who walk in our shoes, I promise to hope.

I promise.



Sincerely,

“Undocumented” Student

No comments: