Saturday, March 28, 2009

The DREAM Act, 287G and Benita Veliz




You are a DREAMer, you haven't been able to get a drivers license.  You are at a stop sign and a police officer sees you and thinks you didn't make a complete stop.  Your life is ruined after that.

Some officers think they have better things to do than look for people who roll through stop signs.  After all, there is real crime out there - people getting mugged, houses getting burglarized, and the occasional car-jacking.  But of course, this particular officer thinks his time is better spent stopping pretty girls at stop signs.

If 287G is implemented it would give even more power to officers like the one who stopped Benita Veliz in San Antonio.  A possible roll through at a stop sign could make a DREAMer's life come to a desperate halt.

As the New York Times explains:

"Her fateful encounter with the law happened on Jan. 21. A police officer pulled her over, saying she had rolled through a stop sign. She says that is not true, but she acknowledges driving without a license. She had a Mexican consular identity card, and after a series of questions, the officer called immigration authorities. She was jailed overnight and released on bond."

The life of Benita Veliz is even more reason to pass the DREAM Act.  By the way, she has no criminal record, in fact she was high school valedictorian, graduated with a Bachelor's Degree from St. Mary's University where she attended on full scholarship.  Write or email your Senator or Congressman NOW.


see dreamacttexas post  "The Houston Chronicle and 287G,"  March 17, 2009

6 comments:

Jodie said...

Benita was the first person to introduce me to the DREAM act when I worked with her 6 years ago. I can say without exaggeration that she is one of the sweetest, most hard-working, brightest people I've ever had the privilege of knowing. Please call your Reps and plead with them to support the DREAM Act.

Unknown said...

I dont know Benita personally, she graduated a couple of years before she graduated. I heard about this story from my best friend, we have a mutual friend in common, Pablo.

I became a citizen of the US on June 19 2008. When I was 9 I went to court w/ my family to petition to stay in the US.

I was asked 'would it be a hardship for you to return to the place of your birth'. I answered, of course, my life is here, I dont know another life. I dont believe Benita should leave, this is her life, America is her country, shes an asset to this country and should be treated as such. I am really sorry benita for what you are going through. I know how scared you are. You are in my prayers and remember God wont give you more than you can handle. - Melissa

hookumrick said...

Rules can not be a cafeteria plan....you can't pick and choose who deport than which bank robber to charge and which to let go 9because they are a nice guy)...one set of rules for all...she needs to go and come back legally.

JulieCatalano said...

Hello - I am currently trying to locate Benita Veliz for a story I'm working on. I'm a reporter in San Antonio. My website is www.juliecatalano.com. Please contact me privately if you have an email or phone number for her. Thanks very much!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, I think that is great your family chose to follow the law. Maybe if Benita's family would have petitioned to stay in the US when she was younger, then she would not be in this predicament. I followed the law too, but so many people do not. This is a country of laws, and those that violate the law should suffer the consequences.

Anonymous said...

The law is the law, and she knew she was here illegally. Why condone it? Why should she be made the exception? She should have to follow the same procedures for citizenship that every other immigrant has to accomplish. She made it through college and never realized she wasn't a legal citizen of this country? Right...