Monday, May 11, 2009

The Pope can tell the Isrealis what he really thinks

Official Flag of Vatican City




Pope Benedict is not my favorite of Vatican leaders.  I may be nostalgic, but I have always thought Pope John XXIII was the best (and most open minded).  This week, however, Benedict's worth has gone up a notch in saying openly that the Palestinians need their own homeland. 

Now, without going overboard in praise, I need to add that it may be easier for Benedict to say this because he was in the the Hitler Youth and you can't tell me that all those ideologies just get erased when you grow up.

Even so.  A Pope can speak more openly about something like this than a U.S. Congressman.  The Isreali Lobby can't have the Pope defeated in re-election.

see "Pope Backs a Palestinian Homeland," New York Times, May 11, 2009

No comments: