Friday, May 29, 2009

In Her Own Words - Sotomayor on being a Latina and a Jurist




Below is an excerpt from a speech that Judge Sotomayor gave at UC Berkeley in 2001

click here for the text of the speech

Judge Sotomayor:
...America has a deeply confused image of itself that is in perpetual tension. We are a nation that takes pride in our ethnic diversity, recognizing its importance in shaping our society and in adding richness to its existence. Yet, we simultaneously insist that we can and must function and live in a race and color-blind way that ignore these very differences that in other contexts we laud. That tension between "the melting pot and the salad bowl" -- a recently popular metaphor used to described New York's diversity - is being hotly debated today in national discussions about affirmative action. Many of us struggle with this tension and attempt to maintain and promote our cultural and ethnic identities in a society that is often ambivalent about how to deal with its differences. In this time of great debate we must remember that it is not political struggles that create a Latino or Latina identity. I became a Latina by the way I love and the way I live my life. My family showed me by their example how wonderful and vibrant life is and how wonderful and magical it is to have a Latina soul. They taught me to love being a Puertorriqueña and to love America and value its lesson that great things could be achieved if one works hard for it. But achieving success here is no easy accomplishment for Latinos or Latinas, and although that struggle did not and does not create a Latina identity, it does inspire how I live my life...link

1 comment:

Marie-Theresa Hernández, PhD said...

just to let the readers know. My husband (who is not Latino) thinks the comment she made was not in good form. He tells me she has admitted that already.

But as David Brooks says, she will still get confirmation. She is extremely competent. Everyone has a right to put their foot in their mouth once in a while.