Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Single Mothers by Deportation

Whoever has been a single mother in her life knows an experience that few can imagine.  It's exhausting - if you have the flu you still have to do everything, make yourself drive the kids to school - buy groceries - bathe them, make dinner.  Having gone through the experience myself for most of my children's lives, I can say that it is hard to remember how difficult it was.  But at the same time, I am really close to my kids (who are now well into adulthood).  

I was lucky.  I already had a masters degree and work experience.  Our income was enough to get us good childcare - and decent housing.  Plus my parents and kid's aunt helped out when they could.  

But what about mothers left single because their husbands have been deported?  What kind of situation could this be?  With a mother who makes a bare bones salary - and probably undocumented to boot?

This week La Voz - Houston Chronicle writer Silvia Struthers wrote a great article on Single Mothers by Deportation.  I wish the Chronicle had the sense to translate it and place it in their English Speaking section.

In Spanish:
Madres solas: la otra cara de las deportaciones, La Voz - Houston Chronicle, May 5, 2009

No comments: