Saturday, February 2, 2008

When ID issues hit the club- Part I

This matter is one that has bothered me for some time and i find myself thinking a lot about it. I also think that many DREAMERs are very intimidated by this matter and refuse to go out for these reasons.

I am a DREAMER with a lot of limitations when it comes to a lot of things, but I'm also 23 years old, i love to dance and i love to go see the new spots that have opened in town. Tonite was like the ice that topped the cake. I joined my friend at Club Venue in the heart of Houston Downtown to celebrate her birthday; however, having a matricular ID was no good to the bouncer, he told me that i had to pretend to give him twenty dollars and as soon as i went in, he would then give me the money back (he didnt, he snatched the twenty from me and looked at me challenging me to say something). This was just for show according (as he whispered to me initially) to him so that his fellow bouncer would not say anything. Turns out as i later found out by asking some fellow DREAMERS that this bouncer is doing this to matricular ID holders and club venue allows it.

My point is that even at the club, a place where people are supposed to go and enjoy, dance, forget about the problems of life... we are being harrased in some form for not holding a form of "acceptable identification." This is complete madness.

I chose not to make a scene and object for two plain reasons: 1)I really can't afford to get arrested because i am a DREAMER. 2) It was my friend's birthday and she didn't deserve a scene.

I have been monitoring this issue in town. Other places that won't allow you in with a matricular ID.

-Kona grill in the Galleria
-Jillian's on I-10 and Silber
-Chacho's on Westheimer (no drinking without Texas ID)

These are some of many places where I have been told before that i cant go in or that i cant hang out near the bar area. More places to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I understand that it was not feasible to contest the situation when it occurred - I would recommend that you contact the owners/managers of the club via phone and/or snail mail to let them know that his is happening and that it will definitely be having an impact on your attendance and the attendance of your friends and their friends etc. While your's is a very difficult situation to overtly create problems for these organizations you do not have to "just take it" you can let them know that the community will be made aware of these events and that it will effect the bottom line for clubs that ignore the problem.

Juli said...

Thanks for your suggestion. I think i will give venue a call this week.