Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Coming Home
Trail of Dreams


Posted on May 12, 2010 by gaby



We are almost home! For the past four months I’ve had to defined what home means to me. Every shelter we stayed at, every house that open their doors to us, churches and centers they all felt like home. Ecuador and thinking about my grandparents feels like home. However, Miami, the placed that I have lived for over 18 years that is home. I can remember how it felt when I first arrived there. Everything looked so crisp and clean. The trees were robust, the street spotless, and the sun shined so brightly it made me open my arms and swing in circles to capture its splendor. I used to walk to and from school with my brother. I knew ten different routes of getting there and all of them made me feel safe and secure.


After school, I used to sit underneath a magnificent banyan tree; the shade and breeze sometimes made it too cold to stay there for too long. This place is one of my favorite places in the world. The banyan tree sit next to a lake that stretches for seven miles and next to a bridge which looks miniature compared to its altitude.


Miami is where I grew up. I went from Oliver Hoover Elementary to Hammocks Middle School. I went to two high schools. For ninth grade I went to Sunset Senior High School and then for tenth to twelve I attended Felix Varela Senior High. I am proud to be an owl, hurricane, knight, and viper!


I also went to college in Miami. Miami Dade College is the place where I had the opportunity to spread my wings and become an adult. Miami Dade College is where I exercise my abilities as a leader. MDC was the beacon of hope in my life that guided me through my darkest hour and allowed me to travel beyond my expectations.


Now I am coming home. The butterflies I feel in my stomach are the same I used to feel when I used to run into my grandfather arms.


We are only a few hours away from coming back home.




Proverbs 27:8 (New International Version)




8 Like a bird that strays from its nest
is a man who strays from his home.
link to http://www.trail2010.org/blog/2010/may/12/coming-home/

No comments: