Monday, May 17, 2010

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson says he has 'respect' for those fighting Arizona's immigration law
May 17, 2010 | 12:52 pm
Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Lakers Coach Phil Jackson, responding to criticism for his comments about Arizona’s crackdown on illegal immigration, released a statement Monday saying he has “respect” for those who are opposing the law.


“I’ve been involved in a number of progressive political issues over the years and I support those who stand up for their beliefs. It is what makes this country great,” he said in his statement.


“I have respect for those who oppose the new Arizona immigration law, but I am wary of putting entire sports organizations in the middle of political controversies. This was the message of my statement. I know others feel differently, even in the Lakers organization, but it was a personal statement. In this regard, it is my wish that this statement not be used by either side to rally activists.”


Activists plan to rally outside Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles before Monday’s playoff opener against the Phoenix Suns...link to complete article

No comments: